WE ARE LOOKING FOR MENTORS IN CAPE TOWN & JOHANNESBURG TO SUPPORT SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAMMES IN THE AFTERNOONS (suitable for senior teachers already working in other schools)
PEP Academy after school centres offer additional tuition to intermediate phase children in literacy, numeracy and life orientation. The intention is to help with the transition from Grade 3 (mother tongue tuition) to Grade 4 (English language tuition).
This is a part time position suited to a senior teacher who wants to deepen his/her educational experience. Mentors are typically teachers from other schools. Their principals have encouraged them to take on this part time role to deepen their educational experience. It is also suited to a retired teacher/principal requiring flexibility on a part time basis. Each centre is visited eight times a year by the mentor, and schools are allocated based on his/her availability. The following is expected from the Mentor:
- Monitoring to track that classrooms are being managed according to PEP Academy standard.
- Classroom observation and advising on best practice teaching and classroom management.
- Acting as an advisor and mentor to the Academy Manager
- Compiling a report after each visit using the site visit report template.
Attending occasional training in literacy, numeracy and LO to be up to date with the curriculum being delivered in the classrooms.
To attend and play an active role in the annual weekend management conference.
- B.Ed. qualification
- Recent or current experience as an Intermediate Phase English and/or Intermediate Phase Maths teacher with a deep understanding of the Intermediate Phase CAPS curriculum is an advantage.
- At least three years’ experience as an HOD, deputy principal or principal.
- An ability to demonstrate best practice in classroom management based on recent experience and a willingness to step in and demonstrate during the visits to the after-school centres.
- A formal qualification in mentoring or experience in having offered formal mentoring / coaching support at schools an advantage.
- Own office with internet connectivity and an ability to complete and submit reports online.
- Own vehicle for Academy visits. These take place from 14h30 – 17h00 Monday, Tuesday or Thursday.
This is a contract position which requires a few afternoons work per month and compensation will be discussed with short listed candidates.
The position is for the 2022 School Year from Feb – Nov.